Resident Staff Rental Criteria
- Each applicant (18 years or over) must submit an individual application for “Rental Application” and “Core Questions” (17 questions from the community). (Available with the Property Manager until available through the website: email housing(at)lostvalley(dot)org or call 541-937-3351 x206).
- All requested phone numbers, present and prior landlord information etc. must be supplied.
- A non-refundable fee of $25.00 will be charged to defray the cost of checking civil records, data entry, mailings, accounting/clerical costs, tenancy inspections, etc.
- We may require up to 7 business days to process an application.
- We will accept the first qualified applicant(s) into the available space.
- Applicants must show two valid, current pieces of identification to the Property Manager in person. One must include a photograph.
Prior Rental History
- Rental history of at least 2 years: verifiable from unbiased/unrelated sources.
- Applicants must provide LV with the information necessary to contact past landlords. We reserve the right to deny an application if, after making a good faith effort, we are unable to verify prior rental history.
- Exceptions may be made for applicants with qualified co-signers or increased deposit.
- Net household income shall be, at minimum two and a half times the rent (utilities are included in most rent amounts with the exception of Solplex dwellings).
- Income/resources must be verifiable through pay stubs, employer contact, current tax records and/or bank statements.
- Applicants may be required to pay an additional security deposit equal to the rent for insufficient or unstable income. This will not count as “final month’s rent.” Rather, it would be an amount lumped into your total Campus Security Deposit.
Credit/Criminal/Public Records Check
- Negative reports may result in denial of application.
- Any individual who is a user of an illegal substance, or has been convicted of the illegal manufacture/distribution of a controlled substance or convicted of a felony may be denied tenancy.
Demeanor: Attitude and Behavior
- During your visit to Lost Valley, your demeanor will be taken into consideration.
- It shall be evident that you are a compassionate human being who is more interested in communicating emotions in a civil manner than becoming reactive to situations or the environment.
Applicants that have not lived and/or worked within 100 miles for at least 6 months:
- May be required to pay an increased security deposit. This would be an amount equal to the rent but is not a “final month’s rent.”
- Smoking is not permitted in the unit. Smoking is permitted on property in one location: the old Basketball Court.
- The property does not house more than 7 dogs or 7 cats as pets.
- For the first 3 months, applicants must be willing to participate in at least a half meal plan or agree to appear at lodge meal times a certain amount of meals per week. See Resident Programs.
- The Property Manager will determine, based on the application, whether the applicant meets the Rental Criteria.
- She will verify income and resources,
- Check with current and previous landlords using a reference check form,
- Review Lost Valley’s pet inventory to ensure your application would not exceed the limits on total cats or dogs on campus,
- Verify you’ve seen the Community Living Agreements, Pet Policy, and Smoking Policy and can agree to them,
- and, when approved by passing the criteria to this point, A non-refundable Reservation Deposit may be required on application approval in order to hold the unit for up to 2 weeks. The Reservation Deposit may be applied to the move-in costs on lease initiation.
- The Property Manager will sign a month-to-month lease allowing you to reside in the available space;
- However, the screening process is still going on at the community level. The RAP will help determine whether or not your tenancy is a good fit for the community. RAP can recommend legal action for the Property Manager such as 30-days notice. The RAP can recommend shorter termination in the cases of outrageous behavior or if the process alludes to Property Manager that false information was presented in application materials. More info at the Residency & Membership Process page.
- A date will be set for you to appear at a “Community Interview” with the Residential Approval Panel (RAP) 2-4 weeks after you’ve moved to Lost Valley as a “prospective member.”
- Anyone at the community interview with the RAP can request a criminal records report and public records report if we find your testimony about your past insufficient. Then, you will be required to submit $25 to mysmartmove.com for a background report.
Priority of available housing
- Goes first to existing resident-staff wanting to switch housing. There is an internal announcement that housing is coming available.
- Then we begin vetting anyone who has submitted a written Rental Application. We inquire via email and phone with those who have expressed interest by submitting application materials.
Back to About Living Here